View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #258 (permalink)
Ryan @ RJM
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09' G37S Coupe
Ryan @ RJM is a name known to allRyan @ RJM is a name known to allRyan @ RJM is a name known to allRyan @ RJM is a name known to allRyan @ RJM is a name known to allRyan @ RJM is a name known to all
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboyvaj View Post
I might have missed it, but on your site it says that this pedal system can reduce or eliminate csc failure. How does it go about doing this?
batboyvaj, I'm sure it's been covered a few times in the past 18 pages but it's good to bring it back to the top of the conversation again. Bear with me as I try to summarize in semi-point form why the RJM pedal is good for your CSC

My take on all the thousands of CSC failures out there is to do with Nissan's silly high engagement with the factory pedal assembly pushing the CSC piston right to the max extension on every pedal stroke which stresses the seals.

This leads to terrible pedal feel with both the engagement so high and the friction point so high off the floor.

Next all of that wasted travel at the bottom of the stroke before the clutch starts to engage is excess travel, wasted movement of the piston and work that you, the MC and the CSC didn't need to do. All this extra travel scrubs the CSC seals back/forth much further for every shift then they need to and accelerates the seal wear.

Finally I believe the above has been the recipe for disaster for many owners due to the following uncontrollable factor - Sudden Heat Expansion of the clutch fluid during spirited driving. If during a run thru the gears you dump a lot of heat into the clutch which heats the CSC fluid causing rapid expansion of the clutch fluid in the lines... exhaust temps spiking in the cats near the bellhousing and clutch line have a great affect too...

So now you've got hot expanding fluid in the lines that's trying to bleed back into the reservoir, a factory master cylinder that's set to max out the CSC piston right to the end of its stoke, you bang the clutch down for that next shift AND ........ POP! goes the CSC seals.

The temporary condition of having rapidly expanding fluid in the lines that doesn't get bled off fast enough to the reservoir, coupled with the next complete master cylinder stroke is too much for the seals to handle causing the piston to max out in the bore and all that excess fluid pressure needs to go somewhere so it blows out the seals and sprays fluid all into your clutch area.

Kind of like one of those shows on Discovery channel where minute by minute the right combination of factors and unfortunate timing leads to disaster... you may go years without having the magical set of circumstances that lead to instant CSC death or you may only go a few weeks. Without remedy it's bound to happen sooner or later in every cars life. Either from an instant death or a slow death from all that excess stroke over many miles wearing down the seals faster.

Ever wonder why your clutch fluid turns all black and nasty over time? That is excess heat cooking the fluid and CSC piston seal material wearing off and entering suspension in the fluid.

So all that said here is the important take away point: The RJM pedal safely and effectively reduces master cylinder stroke volume and lowers the engagement point taking away that excess CSC stroke that leads to failures.
This reduction of MC & CSC stroke when installing an RJM pedal is why the stress on the factory CSC is greatly reduced to where the CSC is no longer in danger of maxing out and popping the seals with every stroke and there's less overall seal wear for a longer overall service life.

I hope in a round about way my theory why the Nissan, Ford, Chevy, Dodge and every other manufacturer I know of who's gone to CSC's has had issues with popping them. Go drive a new Mustang or Camero, their hydraulic clutches are miles high too and owners in those camps are having huge CSC failure rates as well.

Best Regards,
Ryan@RJM

Home of the A.F.P. Upgraded Clutch Pedal System. Smoother Launches, Smoother Shifts & Improved Clutch Control Like No Other Pedal Mod You've Experianced Before Guaranteed!
Visit www.RJMPerformance.com or Email Ryan@RJMPerformance.com Also Don't Forget to Like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/RJM-Performance

Last edited by Ryan @ RJM; 07-12-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Ryan @ RJM is offline   Reply With Quote