View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zauskycop
Base Member

Drives: 2012 370Z, '16 Miata
Zauskycop will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSS138 View Post
The initial reduction in understeer is most likely due to just reducing the body roll up front. The body roll, especially on softer springs, will induce understeer by throwing the CG towards the outside front wheel. But there should be a point where "too much" bar will yes, cause the outside to again push. But the first problem you are trying to solve with the stiffer bar is killing some body roll.

If the car was close to being balanced then a sway bar is sort of like the trim on an airplane. But when the front is bouncing around like a pogo stick as it does on the OEM suspension, you are dealing with a problem situation, not a fine tuning situation.
Now I'm agreeing. Too much roll will overwhelm the outside tire, and by reducing that roll, you are correct that it will balance the car more. Ideally, you want as little swaybar as possible up front, with the work being done by the springs. For lack of springs, the swaybar is the poor man's substitute.

Years ago I was at a little speaking engagement by Carrol Smith and it really enlightened me to the "common sense" portion of setting up cars. His quote was "Swaybars do all the right things for all the wrong reasons". Basically, the front swaybar is balancing the car by putting load on the inside spring. But the load isn't into the ground, but actually LIFTING the tire, thus reducing the grip on the inside tire...hence the push. Luckily the Z, with its immense front weight, is still able to keep a load on the inside and keep its balance. I used to autocross a MR2 Spyder...and if you have ever seen one of those (or some Porsche vehicles for that matter) with big front bars, seeing them three wheel out of corners is a very common occurence!

Tracy Ramsey
Zauskycop is offline   Reply With Quote