View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #42 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
I am impressed with the thoughtfulness and record keeping on this DIY -- great job!

I may have missed this, but what is the target temp range for optimal performance?

On this matter, I have to confess, I am utterly ignorant, so I could only imagine this in regard to what I know of engine oil, but diff oil undoubtedly has very different characteristics...

If you have a clear target, maybe a thermostat could be incorporated? No need to over cool, which may or may not be happening when switched on.

Either way, nicely done and thanks for sharing!
i try haha, thanks

in my eyes diff oil should be around engine oil temp or else it will prob break down really fast. ive been told thats 260*. Doran told me once they get up to 300* within 3 laps. now they only race for 45min and im sure they replace after each race. guys like Megan have blown 2 oem diffs up and i bet thats the reason. he races hard and only now after i did mine did he buy parts to do a custom diff cooler. regardless of when the oil starts to break down, i wanted a diff cooler to see if i could race on the VLSD and have it perform. we all know it goes to sh*t when i gets to hot so if i can track at about 240* it might not be a bad LSD to use. but if its 300* like Doran or Megan, then it becomes an open diff and usless.

im sure one could be. since its an hour long pump and track days are 20min at a time, i have it wired to a switch and on with the car on. ill just leave the switch on and never worry about turning it off till i head home. ive let the car sit for hours and the diff NEVER cools down. that 100lbs hunk of iron keeps heat for a long *** time! only in the winter do i notice it takes a long time to reach any heat over 160-170*.