View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
critical
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09' 370z 7AT
critical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
Single-nut hubs and airjacks start sounding appealing when you're trying to swap 4 wheels in the paddock and it's 95 outside and you're soaked in sweat and exhausted from a hard session But, yeah, not worth the cost and customization for the single-nut, and not worth the cost or weight for the airjack system for DEs.

This thread has really made me review my tools and methods for changing wheels at the track, though. Lots of little things, like:

1) Using my low-profile jack sucks. It's actually pretty huge, and heavy, and it lifts slow. It's one of the normal ones you find at parts stores, and I have to first reach under and fit a little adapter onto the pinch weld. I should look at spending on a proper racing jack, and maybe welding some little flat plates under the car along that pinch-weld area and marking them with arrows on the rocker panel so I can just shove the jack under and pump 3 times and be done.

2) I'm going to start using a cordless impact to reinstall lugs, too. I picked up a 65 ft-lb torque extension stick ( this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sps-75520 ) just to keep me from being stupid while fatigued and ease my transition from being anal about these things, and then I'll finish with a quick hit with the real torque wrench for final tightening.

3) I've been using those little tuner-style open-ended nuts with the silly socket adapters which slows me down too, so I'm going to switch over to plain-jane bulge-cone-seat open nuts with 17mm hex on the end of them (this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gor-30027 ). I think I can fit a regular 17mm deep socket into the holes in my Forgestars.
failure rate is exponentially higher with centerlocks. i've seen a gt3 lose a wheel on the road. there's a reason porsche guys convert to 5 lug setups.