View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 12:04 AM   #29 (permalink)
BGTV8
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z M6
BGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
Those hubs do look pretty sweet!

Do you guys impact your lugs back on as well? I spend way more time putting wheels on than taking them off, and I suspect that's because I'm pointlessly wasting time on things that don't matter as much as I think they do. I sit there and hand-turn the lugs down to initial snug and ensure the wheel is flat and the cone seats are centered first. Then I do a star-pattern with a regular wrench and ballpark them to ~40-50 by hand, then go back over it again with a handheld torque wrench to 85.

Then again I've seen trackside shops toss a wheel on a car and use an electric impact. They put all 5 on straight to final torque one by one and they're done, and I guess they assume everything will seat itself given sufficient torque. I can hear clicks like an automatic torque limiter, but I don't know if that's in the gun or in some socket-adapter? When I try googling, I never turn up much except those solid torque-limiting extension sticks, which I'm guessing just flex when they reach their limit.
Wheel goes on, hand-start the lug-nuts to ensure they are not crossed (I use ARP extended studs as they have the first 15mm machined to make it all but impossible to cross-thread) and then rattle first one fully home, make sure wheel is properly seated, then rattle the rest home with the electric rattle-gun - my gun rattles to ~70 ft/lb on first hit - if I let it blaze away, it will get to 85-90, so I stop on first hit to avoid over-tightening with the gun.

Drop the car onto its wheels and torque to specification, tools in the bag, tool-bag and wheels in trailer, latch down, hitch trailer, gear bag in trunk and drive off. Sum total ~15 minutes, less if my buddy is along to help (in which case he drives the ute (short for utility) and it is an even quicker process).

For those who don;t understand the Aussie ute - it is a bit like the old Chev C10 truck except it is more of a car front half with style-side rear box and lid to take all the gear. They drive just like a car .... example here ... Ford Australia - Ford Falcon or Holden Ute - Safety - 2014 - Australia
BGTV8 is offline   Reply With Quote