View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
I wouldn't use an auto transmission like a manual in the down direction unless I'm dropping from smallest gear to pass. I'm old school but doesn't sound like a good idea. I think I'm just old and the idea of using an automatic transmission to brake with the engine and/or shift like an automatic just feels odd.
I had a 2012 Honda Accord V6 and it had paddle shifters but I just couldn't bring myself to treat it that way, haha.
I know how you feel - using a Turbo 350, TorqueFlite, &c for braking was not a good idea. But, with the TCM playing nanny, I don't think you are going to do much damage unless you get crazy with it (eg, downshifting so RPM go to 6000). It seems to me that this transmission was made to handle downshifting/braking. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malm View Post
yeah its very unnatural to downshift to brake in the 7at so far. Maybe I still do not have the feel for it. I go out thinking yeah!! im going to use the paddles.. and then forget.
I seldom think to use the paddles. Old habits are hard to break.