View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #99 (permalink)
Z&I
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '09 370z 6MT FI
Z&I is a jewel in the roughZ&I is a jewel in the roughZ&I is a jewel in the roughZ&I is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro4Jackster View Post
The first bit of advice from me is:

Do not confuse the Vortech head units limitations with the Stillen kits limitations. They are two very different things. The Stillen kit is limited by its Pre-S/C intake size/configuration, MAF location and IAT sensor location, charge pipe design, and bracket flex/belt slip.

The Stillen kit is very good at what it does off-the-shelf. But it is not very good for upgrading. You have already maxed the kit out, or you are very close. If you want to keep it and enjoy it, do not chase big power. Build your motor to maximize the air your kit is currently moving. Lowering your CR is not a good way to do that (talk to a few "Stillen S/C" experienced shops). Keep the kit you have already bought and enjoy, keep a CR that is close to stock, upgrade the rods, and get an experienced tuner.

I am in no way telling you what to do, but I've been down this road. And I've seen a few others too. Lowering the CR (on this kit) is just losing power and gaining nothing.

I was getting belt-slip at around 15-16 psi over spinning the blower at 56K rpms with the SI impeller. Look at the amount of belt wrap this kit is designed with on the serp pulley and compare it to other superchargers pushing big psi. Look at the size of the intake going thru the core support compared to other supercharger designs. Look at the MAF/IAT placement compared to other designs.

You have probably already made all of the power you will ever make out of the Stillen kit. The bad part is, now you are going to have a built motor that is capable of much much more. It sounds all too familiar.

I don't want to be the pushy internet guy, so this is the last time I'll say this unless asked. Apologize for getting off-topic.
Awesome reply !!! The truth never really hurts but it sure 'nuff always does help.

Tho' it has served me well, I might have outgrown the Stillen ...

Want to stick with Supercharger rather than switch over to Turbo...
I'm an open book now that I'm forced to build the motor ... what would you recommend ???

Found a post here about CiN with the V7 (kit?) ... have the link on my home computer ..l will send that off to you tonight.

Don't want to get off topic here too much unless everybody is OK with it.

Thanks

Thanks