View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
merkil
Base Member

Drives: 2011 370z
merkil is a name known to allmerkil is a name known to allmerkil is a name known to allmerkil is a name known to allmerkil is a name known to allmerkil is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
Here are some specifics about the auto trans in the Z: 1. It's fast, faster than the manual, 2. It only allows you to shift smoothly if you drive it the way it wants you to (Don't think you can throw it in manual and shift smoothly the way you want to, as its very rough and hard engaging if you shift at points it doesn't like, ie. it likes a very short 1st, short 2nd, and a very long, wound out 3rd, as opposed to your typical shifting patterns of most cars, 3. It doesn't like to be tracked or to see high rpm's for very long as they start to get hot and slip very badly (had this confirmed to me by a Nismo Tech at an event last year after having my old Z fail me on the track) 4. They are maintenance free, so that saves some future cost, 5. It'll do everything an auto should and if you don't ask it for too much or try to drive it your way, it'll serve you well.

I was in your boat. I had an '09 manual, got tired of shifting and thought the grass was greener, got rid of it for a '13 auto, which I ended up selling cuz I grew very quickly to despise the tranny, now I'm back in a '14 manual. Pretty costly mistake getting rid of my baby, my '09, back then. Just saying, from experience, the grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Best of luck in your decision though!

Wstar has put a lot of track miles on his auto and has been fine for the most part up until recently. Though I believe it was a motor issue and only the tranny flex plate which cracked. Nothing actually wrong with the internals. Maybe he can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

If you track, you must have a tranny cooler but according to wstar you can feel the shifts become sluggish when the tranny starts to get to hot and it's a good sign to back off. He has also told me that to even get to that point on the street you would be losing your license.

For normal and spirited road sessions I think the auto will be just fine, even in the high rpm. Maybe up the line pressures a bit in uprev to protect against potential slip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
merkil is offline   Reply With Quote