View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
6spd
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Q50RS
6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some specifics about the auto trans in the Z: 1. It's fast, faster than the manual, 2. It only allows you to shift smoothly if you drive it the way it wants you to (Don't think you can throw it in manual and shift smoothly the way you want to, as its very rough and hard engaging if you shift at points it doesn't like, ie. it likes a very short 1st, short 2nd, and a very long, wound out 3rd, as opposed to your typical shifting patterns of most cars, 3. It doesn't like to be tracked or to see high rpm's for very long as they start to get hot and slip very badly (had this confirmed to me by a Nismo Tech at an event last year after having my old Z fail me on the track) 4. They are maintenance free, so that saves some future cost, 5. It'll do everything an auto should and if you don't ask it for too much or try to drive it your way, it'll serve you well.

I was in your boat. I had an '09 manual, got tired of shifting and thought the grass was greener, got rid of it for a '13 auto, which I ended up selling cuz I grew very quickly to despise the tranny, now I'm back in a '14 manual. Pretty costly mistake getting rid of my baby, my '09, back then. Just saying, from experience, the grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Best of luck in your decision though!