View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
BGTV8
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z M6
BGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
Whatever occured to the old fashioned steering wheel lock. Remember, turning car off and slight turn of wheel would lock the steering wheel.

Is this not to US specifications? I ask as I my previous cars here inc Z do not have this ( useless ) function.
In the old days, the steering column lock was mechanical and worked off the key.

Now that we don't have a physical key and more and more cars are run from a power distribution module that is able to be programmed (like engine is off, park-brake applied, car in neutral/park, blah blah blah) and the central locking is triggered, then fire the solenoid to lock the steering as an anti-theft measure.

IMHO, it more driven by electronic management of the body (eg: not engine/transmission) than anything else, simply because there is less mechanical management of the vehicle.

I'm not sure about design regulations in the US, but here in Australia, there has been a design rule since the 70's stating that removing the key MUST (as an anti-theft measure) lock the steering column.
BGTV8 is offline   Reply With Quote