View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #74 (permalink)
DLSTR
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 21Supra 2.0/22 M240i
DLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDog View Post
My main issue with a 25 row cooler is getting the oil *up* to temp during cooler weather. my gauge sits at 140 (all the way cold) all the way to work (one hour drive) all winter. Hence I keep the rpms below 3500 all winter waiting for my temps to at least hit 150. If you run a cooler, fab up a blocker plate to shroud the cooler.

And yes I have a thermostatic plate on my cooler (from Z1) it just never fully closes.

I'm considering running a lighter oil in the winter, but that seems a bit scary as I don't really know how to safely chose one.
S-Dog,

I have a nice plate fashioned via the DIY section here. In Germany I have it on 8 months a year. It might come off next week. With it on I see 190+ in the winter and now its about 200-220 for very short periods of time. Problem is it might be 10C cooler next week so I keep it on. At night when things cool off it needs to be on. On the Autobahn at speed on a nice but not hot day the oil is about 200 w cover on. Perfect.
I use 5-30 year round. You dont need a lighter oil at all. The dealers here use 5-30 Castrol year round.

Last edited by DLSTR; 06-09-2014 at 11:22 AM.
DLSTR is offline   Reply With Quote