View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #70 (permalink)
juld0zer
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 11 Nissan 370Z MB M6
juld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond repute

i guess there are several perspectives of concern surrounding 'high' oil temps.

- performance degradation (and at what temp it occurs and why it occurs)
- engine longevity/protection
- scary gauge syndrome
- bandwagon followers

Yes, a lot of modern cars probably get their oil way hotter than our cars under similar conditions but do they noticeably reduce performance? I dont think most folks are overreacting. Most of us just want the car to behave as a sports car should and tolerate the extra strain. But when your throttle response lags in normal city driving then something isn't right. Nissan could've engineered the motor to be more tolerant to oil temps but we cant change that. So the only thing we can do is prolong the pleasure with oil coolers, software tweaks and oil choice!

i agree that a loss of oil pressure would kill an engine quicker but the damage would usually be done by the time someone notices a catastrophic loss of oil pressure.

Surfdog - lots of folks have good experience with Mobil 1 0w40
juld0zer is offline   Reply With Quote