View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy1 View Post
I have raced a few guys which are serious contenders... Maybe I am cutting a wicked reaction and 60 foot time, but I am leaving them behind or holding them of nicely in 1-2 then in 3rd i'm feeling them catch up or have the potential to go past me. All have been Higher power cars than mine, two are boosted heavily (RX7, and a GTR syline) one is LSX powered (05 C6 vert auto - stock) for reference... so maybe not much chance there..... but thats what I'm noticing.

This was of course all done on a closed course in Mexico.
Higher power cars are exponentially harder to drive and get through the low gears. 9 times out of 10, a bolt on 370z could probably take me in first, and possibly still be ahead through second if I am doing real bad. When 3rd gear comes, I wont know if they slammed on the brakes or kept racing cause ill put it behind me so fast it doesnt make a difference. When I race lightly modified cars, I usually only give it enough gas to just stay next to my victim until 3rd gear then I give it a go.

But yup due to the torque multiplication of gearing, the amount of power you are sending to the wheels in 3rd gear is far far lower than second gear. The tires can only contain so much... so in the lower gears, high power cars cannot use all the extra power.