View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sensei Kreese
Base Member

Drives: 40th Anniversary
Sensei Kreese is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780 View Post
There is no metal grinding involved in installing the Gen 3 intake. You trim/grind a few plastic parts to fit the tubes through.

OP, Stillen claims a 17hp gains (@ the wheels). From what has been posted by owners on independent dynos, those stats are pretty close. It will net you a good amount of power without having to run a tune. There's a ton of threads with bolt on setups that use the Gen 3's. It's well worth it for the price. You're really talking about two intakes here, which understandably doubles the price. It's gonna come down to preference. The other long tube intakes available each have their drawbacks too, but the Gen 3's are definitely one of the best bang for the buck. Just make sure you follow installing the intake perfectly. There were issues with them rubbing on the AC lines if you don't place something to protect them.
Thanks for the correction. Still, my point is grinding plastic means more time and if you don't have a grinder more money to buy it. I have one and know how to use it I just found it a lot easier to pull a silicone tube made by Takeda to go through the hole rather than grinding it out. Getting the bumper off really tested my patience and I took off the bumper on my G37 3 times so I have experience. Not disagreeing with your assessment that the Stillens are the best, just pointing out there are cheaper options that require less work and less money to purchase. To me, that makes something a better bang for the buck rather than just buying the most expensive option because it's the most popular choice.
Sensei Kreese is offline   Reply With Quote