View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
njobe89
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 370z BS 6MT
njobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond reputenjobe89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpawmoses View Post
If, after the exhaust and intake mods, everything seems to run okay, there is a cheap way to tell if you're running too lean. Warm up the car, Run it hard for about a mile, shut it down & coast to a safe stop, immediately remove a spark plug and check its' insulator color. Black is too rich, white is too lean, and tan is what you want to see. If it's white, get it tuned immediately.

For what it's worth
Not to justify the cost of a tune but it involves a lot more than just getting the air/fuel ratio to a stoich AFR(about 12.7 AFR for 91+ octane fuel in a naturally aspirated engine). It also involves timing, spark knock retarding, cold cranking enrichment, acceleration enrichment, and deceleration enleanment to name a few. The AFR is adjusted for each cell in a table of throttle positions against engine RPM's. This is done for each cylinder too. The dyno technician really needs to know his stuff and will still take over a dozen wide open throttle runs even with todays computer assisted tuning software. Also, get a copy of the tune or "map" on a thumb drive & keep it. It'll save you some money if you ever need to reflash your ECU.
i'll be going to z1 motorsports, everyone seems to agree they are well trusted, but i will ask for that when i go and see them.

is this the general rule for every car or just the Z's? i had a rsx-s before with some bolt on and never did a tune on it or anything and it went fine for the time i had it.
njobe89 is offline   Reply With Quote