View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Codemonger
Base Member

Drives: 2004 SVT Focus
Codemonger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
The VW issue is caused by the EGR (Exhaust gas recirculation) system. It's really, really bad on the diesels. As you mentioned, you can disable it, but it may cause the vehicle to fail emissions tests.
I've always had a distaste for EGR in general; the Chevy 4.3L Vortech is a very good example of why, and those weren't even DI. For those not familiar, the electronic valves would clog up constantly from carbon buildup, throwing engine codes, failing smog, and running or idling terribly.

The good news is that today's VVT/VCT technologies do a lot to remove the need for an EGR Loop. I'm not famliar with VW engines, but my first thought would be to assume they're not using this tech on those engines having the buildup issues.

I have to admit that I was mildly disappointed after learning that the 370z does not feature DI (because of the immense tuning potential on boost), but if the DI systems currently out there are having a significant impact on component longevity, then I'm all too happy to go without.
Codemonger is offline   Reply With Quote