Thread: Mobil 1/Redline
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Matt
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 Avalanche LT
Matt is just really niceMatt is just really niceMatt is just really niceMatt is just really nice

I've only been researching synthetic oils since the recent purchase of my z, so take this with a grain of salt.

If you're spending money for power, put it towards tuning, intakes or exhaust....not oil. You're not paying $6-10 a quart for power, you're paying for a better quality engine lubricant that lubricates better and protects for much longer durations.

One of the few differences between Mobil 1 and other oils like RP, Redline and Amsoil, is the amount and/or quality of the additives, including the Nissan-recommended esters. Mobil 1's site says the following of their oil:

Quote:
Many synthetic oils, including Mobil 1, contain a variety of synthetic fluids, and usually this includes esters.
Redline, RP and Amsoil are all very open about the quality and amount of additives used in their oil.

I believe the break down is as such, based on about 10 minutes of googling (please correct me if I'm wrong):

Castrol - Group III base with (not sure what group) additives
Mobil 1 - Group III base with Group IV/V additives
Mobil 1 Extended Perf. - Group IV base
RP - Group IV/Group IV blend
Amsoil - Group IV base with Group V additives
Redline - Group V

A google search or 2 can ambigously lay out the differences between the groups, however from what little bit of evidence we have...all 3 provide sufficient lubrication for the engines in our Zs and you should not have any problems stemming from the usage of any of the above.

"Any man who can drive a 370z while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the Z the attention it deserves." Albert Einstein....modified.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote