View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
SmoothZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: giant sandworm
SmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, here's the route. Be ready for at least a 3 hour trip. Keep in mind that some people are driving their "babies" and/or new or collector cars, so please don't do anything stupid or disrespectful.

We've driven the route and picked some spots to pull over and wait for anyone who may have been separated from the group because of other traffic. We plan on printing out the list and handing them out, but you can also copy and paste and print this stuff.

0900: Start by meeting in the parking lot at American Blvd and 30th (just east of the MOA).

Leave by 0930 and take 494 east to Hwy 61, go south to Hwy 10 and proceed towards Prescott, WI.

Next stop: Point Douglas Park just outside Prescott. We will wait 10 minutes for everyone before we leave again. This park is on the left side of the road, and we have to enter and exit across traffic, so please be careful.

Drive Hwy 35 south from Prescott for at least 15-20 minutes until we get to Co Rd A where we take a left.

Co Rd A is a beautiful 2 lane road with some farm houses there. It's a short road before we arrive at Hwy 10.

Hwy 10 east (right) to Co Rd CC (turn right to go south). This starts out as a nice, long straight before it becomes a lot of left/right turns at intersections and what not. Eventually, we'll end up in Pepin, WI.

Rest stop at Pepin Depot Museum on Hwy 35. I think we'll wait a little longer here since there is a bathroom at this rest stop.

Proceed from Pepin to Nelson, WI. I love this part because we drive through the lowlands of the river valley and then drive across a bridge.

Across the bridge is Wabasha, MN. We drive through town to get back on the highway, so keep an eye out for those signs to take you to Hwy 51. In town, we take a left on 4th Grant Blvd, right on Allegheny, then right on Hiawatha.

Outside of Wabasha is our favorite rest stop for refreshments: Dairy Queen! This is self explanatory, but I don't want to spend too much time here.

After the DQ pit stop, we'll go south on 61 for a minute before turning right onto Hwy 60. This is the long stretch with a lot of curves, hills, switchbacks, and straightaways. Use common sense and rely on your driving skills that you've honed over the years from all those classes and events to be safe. We'll be going through small villages, and there's a lot of traffic on this road.

Eventually, we'll end up on Hwy 52. We can stop in Zumbro Falls for a rest stop and gas if we agree on this during our drive. We can play it by ear.

Reminders:

Bring a full tank of gas and some water or w/e you like to drink to keep hydrated.
Be respectful of the road rules and each other.
If you must take videos and pics, use a passenger or GoPro or w/e is safe.
Be aware of your surroundings and watch out for your buddies in the group.
Have fun and enjoy the scenery!

"I talk to myself, and when I do that, I know I'm talking to an intelligent person."
SmoothZ is offline   Reply With Quote