View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #91 (permalink)
Pro4Jackster
Base Member

Drives: '08 350Z
Pro4Jackster is on a distinguished road

I never intended to take it this far. It was a weekend street toy. Auto Trans. Drive it in the rain car.

I know the trouble people have trying to get the 5AT to hold power. And a big part of its problem was not being able to handle part-throttle torque. The computer is not expecting to see much torque at part throttle, and therefore does not increase the line pressure. Then you get slipping and heat and broken transmissions. So I specifically chose a kit that would not make much torque at low rpms and part-throttle. The only time a centrifugal supercharger makes power is in the upper rpms and wot. I figured that would be my best shot at running stock-block and stock 5AT with FI. Yes, I overthink everything in my life.

Long story short. I lucked into a good deal on a built Transmission. Uprev figured out how to fool the computer into expecting more torque and therefore upping line pressure. Then I blew my motor and way overbuilt it. And most importantly met some cool *** people and got the power-bug.

I wasn't ever expecting the Stillen Kit to make a certain number. I was just trying get all I could out of it. I was happy with it and would still have it if the JTran bunch hadn't made me an awesome deal.