View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #45 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
... So, my thinking is: Bellmouth + slight narrowing of inlet should smooth air and also speed up flow, improving responsiveness and low speed power, while maintaining OEM ID before the MAF should keep measurements accurate without needing any re-scaling in uprev.

On the other hand, any narrowing at the inlet could simply kill power everywhere, especially up top... or, I might break even up top due to the overall flow benefits, and just gain down low.

Or nothing will happen or it will run like ****. Oh how I wish I knew enough of the right math to figure this one out...

Anyone have any thoughts on this one...?
The increase in velocity due to a narrowing of the duct doesn't do you any good. The velocity decreases as soon as the duct gets bigger again. It will actually reduce the flow.

Since the sensor is measuring mass flow, there shouldn't be any need for re-scaling.

The math for figuring the loss due to narrowing of the duct is pretty straightforward - it's just an orifice. Flowrate Calculation for an Orifice Flowmeter looks like a good place to start. You will probably need a manometer or other differential pressure measuring device.

Figuring loss due to turbulence is much too complicated for me.