View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #36 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitco39 View Post
By an engineering standpoint as long as you have a good conductive paste between the oil pan and the fins this would actually work quite well. No different than an electrical heat sink.

I should also point out that before my trip in the mountians I had the plastic undershroud off the car and it would run down in the 180s that way. I might pull it back off to see if there is a correlation between running with it off and cooler temps. I would imagine there would be significantly more airflow around the engine with it removed.
I thought about adding a vent to the undershroud (and I believe there is a modshack DIY for that on here), but I don't remember what the final verdict was on what other effects occur -- poorer MPG by being a bit less slippery to air under the car or changing how air flows over the radiator, for example.

I think it remains an open question without further testing...