View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 05:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
bit of a thread revival here..

the 335i is a (in early models twin) turbo car so oil temps would definitely be higher than an N/A engine because the engine oil is used to lubricate the turbo bearings so it's just another creator of oil heat.

The issue is, the Nissan ECU is extremely overprotective. As many folks have pointed out on this forum, modern cars will most likely run oil temps of 100*c/210f+ in just normal daily driving.

Our engine's throttle response suffers significantly at oil temps of 94*c/200f upwards - which in my opinion is ridiculously low for a sports car.

I'm still not convinced that the VVEL system contributes that much heat that it has to be protected. Probably more like the VVEL linkages and small components would likely become weaker at higher engine temps...

The CVTC system is often overlooked when it comes to oil heat. It relies on oil pressure to hydraulically adjust the cam angle and this generates a fair amount of heat.

The other issue worth mentioning is the onboard oil temp gauge - surely it doesnt update in real time. I notice the throttle lag lingers for a while even afger the gauge reports <94*c oil temp. Has anyone hooked up a separate oil temp gauge with its own temp probe and compared? I cant remember what Cipher was reporting but it did seem to have a highish update frequency based on my log.
I believe the ECU pulls a little ignition timing over 200* F -- not sure how fast the analog gauge responds, but the ECU is probably updating fairly close to real time.