View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
370Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 Corvette G.S.
370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
Thanks. Yeah I'm excited about 1) Doing what I love, higher performance 2) Get to stay in the States and more importantly with my wife.
This goes to the heart of what I've been saying to anyone who will listen...if you want a job that will be around and not outsourced overseas, don't go to college! (Yes, I'm serious).OR go to college but also learn a trade. Apprentice to become an electrician, plumber, carpenter, or a mechanic.

Take that shop class in high school. Unless you are going to graduate Summa Cum Laude from Harvard Medical and become a brain surgeon, learn how to fix a car, wire a circuit, or build a house.

Shameless plug for a book I just finished reading. And no, I have absolutely no financial reasons for plugging it

Amazon.com: Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work (9781594202230): Matthew B. Crawford: Books

Philosopher and motorcycle repair-shop owner Crawford extols the value of making and fixing things in this masterful paean to what he calls "manual competence," the ability to work with one's hands. According to the author, our alienation from how our possessions are made and how they work takes many forms: the decline of shop class, the design of goods whose workings cannot be accessed by users (such as recent Mercedes models built without oil dipsticks) and the general disdain with which we regard the trades in our emerging "information economy." Unlike today's "knowledge worker," whose work is often so abstract that standards of excellence cannot exist in many fields (consider corporate executives awarded bonuses as their companies sink into bankruptcy), the person who works with his or her hands submits to standards inherent in the work itself: the lights either turn on or they don't, the toilet flushes or it doesn't, the motorcycle roars or sputters. With wit and humor, the author deftly mixes the details of his own experience as a tradesman and then proprietor of a motorcycle repair shop with more philosophical considerations.
- Publishers Weekly, Starred review