View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #34 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think 20mm spacers would have worked, because the length of the nubs sticking out exceed 5mm. It was closer to a full cm, so at a minimum you'd need 25mm spacers to even have a shot at the nubs not protruding. But at 25mm, it'd probably look bizarre -- what I call the 'skateboard effect'. Regarding the 5-8mm spacers, I would think that there'd still be enough thread. The question is whether or not that's enough to make a satisfactory difference (I guess there's only one way to find out, right?). I think as long as you're able to properly torque the lug nuts down (the manual spec says 80 ft-lbs.), you'll be okay. But use your judgment. Put at least one lug nut back on by hand to get a sense of how much thread you're working with. And I'd also recommend re-checking the torque on them after driving around for, say, 50 miles to make sure they didn't start to back out on their own. In fact, if you decide to do this, I'd recommend that you torque the lug nuts to 90 ft-lbs., just for a little extra insurance.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote