View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 03:19 AM   #28 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
If the bolt is ferrous, the magnet should "stick" to the bolt. If the bolt is aluminum or other non-ferrous material, it may fall into the pan. IIRC, the pan is Al, so there's nothing for it the stick to there.

Shouldn't do any harm if it does fall out. It should fall to the bottom of the pan and stay there. It could possibly block the oil pump inlet but all the rotating parts are above the oil level in the pan. Not that I would want one loose in my oil pan, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

While I'm sure it's happened to someone along the way, I've never heard of the magnet falling out in the 40+ years I've been working around cars. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Pans steel. Mines a pain in the *** to thread back in because it sticks to the side and won't go back into the hole lol. You try to install it straight in but then all of a sudden its attracted to the side and boom it shoots over an sticks. You have to like scrape it along the pan till you get to the hole then push it in. I don't know what mine is but its an extremely strong neodymium magnet.