View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #264 (permalink)
jrb55gh
Base Member

Drives: '13 370z black 7AT
jrb55gh is on a distinguished road

This was originally posted in the "Smooth throttle for Uprev" thread, but it is probably relevant here also.

This post may not be anything special to the track guys, but there is something worth mentioning to the street guys with a 7AT. I just completed the current Dynotronics Ecutek remote tune on my 2013 7AT. The car is completely stock and street driven smoothly with restraint when the wife is along but with gusto when she’s not.

On the street in stop and go traffic the stock throttle response has an annoying delay that is actually dangerous in slow tight situations that require quick acceleration. From what I read in "Smooth throttle for Uprev" thread it appears that wstar has developed a throttle table (2300) in Uprev that cuts the delay but accelerates hard with very little throttle pedal input. This sort of throttle response is ok with the 6MT in street traffic because the clutch can be used to modulate the torque to the rear wheels. However, on 7AT cars with stock stall speeds, smooth starts in heavy traffic require extreme throttle foot control. Wstar also commented “the curves are backwards from where they should be for drivability”. Soft response without delay at small throttle pedal inputs makes street driving more relaxed and might be a benefit on the track. I think I have this now with the tune in my Z.

The first try for a suitable throttle response curve was a 1:1 coupling of the throttle pedal to the throttle. This resulted virtually in no delay but the engine almost jumps out of the car with a short ¼ throttle stab at the pedal. It was impressively quick reving in neutral but difficult to drive with an automatic on the street. After a few iterations of logging data and adjusting throttle response to throttle pedal inputs, the delay is nil and the action of the throttle is smooth and gradual at throttle pedal inputs up to about 10%, but responds like gang busters if you put your foot in it.
jrb55gh is offline   Reply With Quote