View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down

The spacers are a no-go.

I installed one on the front driver's side. I was even taking pictures every step of the way so that I could provide step-by-step instructions. Then when I went to mount the wheel back on, lo and behold, it wouldn't go in all the way. If you look at the second and third picture below, you will see that the way these are designed, the stock wheel studs stick out a bit. Now, this normally isn't a problem, because the nubs just go into the spaces/slots in between the holes on the back of the wheel (see fourth pic). Well guess what? Those slots in between the holes aren't cut low enough. The nubs from the stock wheel studs can't clear them! Take a close look at the last picture. To figure out what was going on, I laid the wheel down flat on the ground, then placed a spacer on top. The spacer's wheel studs are in through the holes of the wheel. The holes you see in the picture are where the nubs of the stock wheel studs would go through. You can see through the holes that they're about halfway blocked by the bottoms of the slots. Way to go, Nissan!

I have three options: (1) take a grinder and grind out the bottoms of those slots just enough for the nubs to clear; (2) knock the studs out of spacers, knock the stock studs out of the wheel hubs, then install extra length studs back into the wheel hubs and pass them through the spacers; or (3) say screw it and return the spacers. I'm going with option 3. Option 1, grinding the stock wheels, just doesn't sound like a great idea to me. And option 2 would defeat the whole purpose of getting spacers of this design. If I wanted to change out the stock studs for extra length ones, it'd make more sense to go with the H&R DR series.

Well, I'm sorry it didn't work out. I know a lot of you were eager to see how the car would look with the wheels pushed out a bit. But at least this will save the rest of you a bunch of time and hassle. I've taken one for the team! (And you may thank me with rep points. )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000643.JPG (270.4 KB, 3036 views)
File Type: jpg P1000649.JPG (197.6 KB, 2963 views)
File Type: jpg P1000650.JPG (207.4 KB, 2966 views)
File Type: jpg P1000651.JPG (194.8 KB, 2938 views)
File Type: jpg P1000652.JPG (211.3 KB, 2942 views)

Last edited by semtex; 02-05-2009 at 07:17 PM.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote