View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
extralarge
Base Member

Drives: Infiniti G37 AT
extralarge is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your answer and your time for me.

So my backup SLU should work hanging by the wire from the column. If it doesn't, I see three possible reasons:
1) the SLU is faulty too and I am very very unlucky. Let's say possible but not very probable (it's a D version)
2) I touched the "external screw". Q1)Which one ? How does it work? I see only the two "self breaking" screws to fix it on the column.
3) the fault doesn't comes from the SLU itselft but from the upper module (IPDM/BCM) which doesn't give to right signal to unlock. It could explain why tapping the module is vain. I'm building an home made harness to analyse the signal (of course, I don't have a consult III interface, not yet). It will be ready tomorrow but Q2) have you all heard of similar symptoms NOT caused by the SLU? I am interressed in your feedback.

I read your different threads. Very interesting of course. But I want at this stage a "soft" workaround:
1) to confirm the SLU is faulty. In this case, I'm ready to prosecute Infiniti if they refuse any warranty. What I read, (including the fact that Nissan explains in its NTB there is an inherent defect) should be relevant arguments (your b) point)... But this is for later and not my current purpose.
2) to be able to drive 250km to the dealer and avoid tow cost. My SLU is blocked in a "in between position" that is the wheel is unblock but not enough so the sensor doesn't give signal to allow BCM to start. Unless Q3) you tell me it's to dangerous to drive with the lock threatening to lock at any time. Whatever you think, I'll do it at my own risk, off course

So I don't want to destroy my original SLU. Besides, opposite to the 370z, replacing the SLU requires to uninstall the
column (it's located in the upper part...) and to complex for me for a DYI.
However, I'm ready to rebuild and sacrify my backup SLU, if I am 100% convinced why it doesn't work anymore (see Q1). It has indeed a spring, when I push it, it retracts but comes out when I released it.

I sent you an email, a few days ago. Please check if it's not in the spam folder.

Best regards,
Phil

PS: regarding your c) point, I didn't read the manual... The windows is completly down and the car outside. So I cut up a plexyglass piece and it's no more a problem.

Last edited by extralarge; 04-30-2014 at 12:38 PM.
extralarge is offline   Reply With Quote