View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #34 (permalink)
Gary_C
Base Member

Drives: Fast
Gary_C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Gary,
I'm running the front upgrade setup on mine with the stock rear sport brakes. Currently using the FM1000 pads on the GT calipers and DS2500s on the rears. They perform flawlessly at the track, but the initial bite is kind of low, and they wear out really quick. Do you think I should switch to DS3000s next time?

The FM1000 is primarily an aggressive street pad. It is actually hands down my favorite pads for daily driving, high speed highway driving, and the occasional canyon/mountain run. With that said, I am beyond the level where I am able to use that pad at the track.

At the track I also want a higher initial torque (bite), and I require a pad with a higher MOT (maximum operating temperature). The pads are wearing quickly for you when you are running at peak temperatures. They still provide decent friction levels at the elevated temperatures, but it does become more unstable and can wear quickly.

The rapid wear is without a doubt a sign that you are "running in the red" temperature wise fr a fair amount of time. Our 6-piston monobloc caliper has the largest surface area and volume of any aftermarket brake kit for the 370Z. It's not uncommon to see 40,000 street miles out of one set of pads, even with an aggressive driver. Equally, it's not uncommon to hear of someone wearing through an entire set of pads in 3-5 track events if they are running at or near MOT with a pad that is not specifically intended for track use.
(Believe it or not, this is still a fair amount of use compared to the results from other 370Z brake options, and it only gets better when you do find the ideal compound to suite your intended use.)
As I started to mention in a previous post, it does require finding a balance between the designated purpose of the pad and your intended driving style. The brake system itself is providing the performance values that you need for any type of driving situation, while the pad is a consumable item that will show compromise in certain scenarios.

- Are you running drilled or slotted discs?
- Are you encountering any fade during your track use?
- How many street miles would you say you have on that set of pads vs. how many track miles/days/or/timed sessions?
- Are you intent on trying to find an all purpose pad for street and track, or would you be comfortable usuing designated pads for street and track?

The jump to a DS3000 will offer you a pad with higher MOT and more stability for track use. The coefficient of friction is higher, as is the initial torque. That being said, pads are very subjective and do require a bit of trial and error to find the combination that works best for you. The DS3000 is a good step up from where you are now, but it's hard to guarantee exact results without more detailed information. On the positive side, this could still be used as a dual purpose pad for you. If this doesn't hit the mark you are looking for, you may need to consider running a separate street pad and track pad to achieve optimum results.
I work for Race Technologies, Brembo's sole distributor and representative in the US. I am here as an enthusiast, the opinions shared here are solely mine, & not necessarily shared by that of Race Technologies or Brembo.

Last edited by Gary_C; 11-14-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Gary_C is offline   Reply With Quote