View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 03:48 AM   #119 (permalink)
davidyan
Base Member

Drives: PG 370Z Sport 6MT
davidyan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown32 View Post
This ester oil discussion can go back and forth forever?Personally I believe it is a gimmick by Nissan to sell there oil.No one has any credible data from Nissan and they themselves don't even know what they are talking about?Info varies from dealership to dealership?Of course there are those that are easily sucked into false advertisements and dealer gimmicks.So what ever makes you happy.
As to which oil is best is like asking which soap do you bathe with?I mean this is all a personal preference.As long as you use a reputable name brand oil you will be fine.
In reference to Amsoil better then this or that is a joke!It is no better then Mobil 1 or many other good quality synthetic oils so whoever says Mobil 1 is shyt is in over there head in this discussion and has made a complete fool of themselves.

Well, I agree with you that the debate will go on forever but the use of Esters in oils does have its benefits including friction reduction and better stability in high temp. How this all started with Nissan is as follows- If you look back at the G37 forums, the oil was initially recommended to reduce the ticking noise level in the valvetrain. The Nissan patent (which I believe was either rejected or still pending eval) on the Ester oil claims to improve fuel economy however. Esters were used to reduce the valvetrain noise as the additive or base depending on % "sticks to metal". It was later identified that the way the engine winds down and revs up contributed to the noise and thus, Nissan/Infiniti reflashed customer's ECU's which got rid of the majority of the problem. Pretty much all 370Z cars will have this done from the factory as the problem was found in early 08 model G37's which share our engine.

While the oil is expensive at anywhere between $9 - 16 a quart and even though there are better oils out there like Redline (which also has esters), I don't buy the argument that Nissan recommended this to simply sell oil as many suggest. Esters in oil are very expensive and if Nissan is sourcing in such low quantity (only the 370Z and new Maxima use it), they aren't banking on making huge profits from it like Redline or Motul is. Castrol and even M1 have moved away from using Esters due to costs and they produce in the mass quanitities. They are using AN instead which is cheaper and mimics the performance of Esters, or at least the oil industry claims this. Nissan is not in the business of marketing oil. Its also not recommended on the GTR which indicates to me they are not just pushing the oil on all their high performance engines. They saw it as a cheap fix to the valvetrain tick issue and probably never rescinded the recommendation after the ECU reflashes took place. That being said, many have used Redline instead as it has Ester and is usually priced similarly to the Nissan Ester oil.