View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #48 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

I use a hockey puck with a slit cut in one side for the pinch rails. I flip the puck over when I use the garage jack points.

If I'm putting the car on four jack stands, I drive one front tire onto a 2x6 laid flat. This allows me enough clearance to reach the front garage jack point (minor rubbing on the plastic chin spoiler for the first few pumps of the jack handle). I put two jack stands on their lowest height at the front before moving to the rear. I use the differential jack point to easily jack up the rear. I put the jack stands at my working height before moving back to the front to raise those stands to level the car. After a couple of years, I can do this in <10 min if I try. Note that I have an essentially stock sports package. YMMV.

For example, I recently did an oil change for a fellow forum member and ran into several issues with my methods. She has a front lip (EVO-R), and the 2x6 was not sufficient height to clear the lip with my jack when reaching for the front cross member. Also, she has aftermarket exhaust (FI TDX) which restricted access to the differential jack point. I might have been able to reach it by stacking two hockey pucks on the jack, but I only had the one. I had to use the pinch rails to jack up each side individually.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote