View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lug
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2006 350Z
Lug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl82 View Post
I will be really surprised if the Auto is faster than manual. I think the manual is faster because,

1) 370z auto transmission is not same as BMW M class, or any other supercars. I have heard that there is little bit of lag between gear shifts.

2) Auto loses more whp than manual. it is usually 15% loss for Manual, and 20 - 25% loss for Auto.

3) Auto 370z weighs more than manual one.

By the way, the Syncro Rev also helps in upshifts for the manual in which it holds the rpm for couple of mini-seconds, just enough for the smooth gear shifts and continous flow of power between gears. I think this is very advantageous feature because, there seems to be No loss of power through upshits with no Jerking. Syncro Rev is simply amazing...

Until I see the factual test numbers of 0-60, quarter miles...I think the manual is still faster than Auto.

What do you guys think?
The AT adds only 36 lbs.

Shift Lag is 500 milliseconds

Power diff - unknown at this time.

Gearing - could be the difference.

A good MT driver can probably get about 300 milliseconds so assume a .2 sec loss there 0-60 (only 1 shift). Some AT's act as a slight torque multiplier (I have no idea why). This isn't a true dual clutch but it does seem to be one of the bests traditional AT's I've seen on paper. It will be down to how much gearing will effect it and driver error for the most part. Top end should go to the manual due to slightly greater power loss though the AT. The big news is that if it's the same Tranny as in the FX50, it will handle a LOT more power than the old 350Z's AT (which sucks monkey balls for power handling).
Lug is offline   Reply With Quote