View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #72 (permalink)
Drakonis GTR
Base Member

Drives: 09' 370Z B/S Rd M6
Drakonis GTR is a jewel in the roughDrakonis GTR is a jewel in the roughDrakonis GTR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue660r01 View Post
I call BS to this one

If a cop has to sit in the wide open its pointless. The point is to CATCH speeders not let them know you're there.
That depends on the area. A number of places have anti-speedtrap laws in place. Here in Florida, I think the requirement is that they have to be visible in at least one direction, of course that doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be the direction you are coming from.

I used to live in Vermont. in the 4 years that I actually drove there, I had 4 speeding tickets, none very high miles (was only driving a Toyota Corrola, god I think that car was cursed), but expensive. Of course, Vermont is always in desperate need of revenue, and they have some of the most merciless and bored ***-hole cops I've ever seen because of it. I had one pull me over for 4 mph over the posted limit (39 in a 35, which seems to be most of the damn state). Just one of the many reasons I left that state.

Long Story Warning

( Click to show/hide )
My lucky break was when I had a guy come flying up on my bumper and stay there for 20 miles. I figured he was a cop, but when he stayed long past his jurisdiction line, I figured he was just some prick who liked tail-gating. Had it up to 70mph a couple of times (limit is 50), but nothing from him, so I kept rolling. As soon as I hit the next town, lights come on. Pull over, and proceed to calm myself down and prepare to give this guy the riot act for tail-gating me for 20 miles, and he shows up, asks me for my info, then immediately goes back to the cruiser. After 3 mins he comes back and asks the usual question, "do you know why I pulled you over". Well, my response was that yes I did, and I also wanted to know why he had been tail-gating me. He proceeded to tell me that they had had an APB out for a white corolla with the same kind of wheels mine had had on it, but that I was obviously not the guy they were looking for. He gives me my stuff back, gives me a speech about not speeding, then leaves. While I sit there like WTF?

Anyway, been living in FL now for about 10 years, and never even been pulled over, much less ticketed (give me a moment, gotta go find a tree to knock on). I mainly chalk it up to luck, but cops down here in Orlando don't seem to be concerned unless you're flying. Hell, I've had cops pass me while I was speeding.

I guess in the end it comes down to being like the Gambler, knowing when to hold them, and when to fold them.

2009 Nissan 370Z Base w/ Sport Package
F.I . LTHs with Non-Resonated Cat-back exhaust (C.F.) / Stillen Gen3 CAI / Up-Rev Tune
Drakonis GTR is offline   Reply With Quote