View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 02:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
edconline
Track Member

Drives: 10' MB Z34 6MT T/S/N
edconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing Brake Pads Back/Forth?

No, this is not another brake pad recommendation thread. I have come to accept I will never find a definitive answer on which pad is the 'best' for aggressive street and light track without trying them all

I will be trying out XP8's this summer and plan to run them F/R for street and track. If I find I don't like them for street, my ET500's have half their life left.

My question is, for guys that have changed from one pad brand to another (not just one compound to another), did you turn or replace your rotors? And as a follow up question, for the track guys that switch to track pads for the track then back after, I'm assuming you aren't turning/changing your rotors every time you switch, right?

There is a lot of info out there on the inter webs that suggests that you MUST replace or re-surface your rotors when switching to another pad type in order to properly remove the pad deposits the other pad left behind and allow the new ones to bed in properly. Now I totally get bedding in the pads, makes sense and I plan to continue doing that. But when I'm looking at my rotors, and they still look brand new with no real visible or tactile signs of pad deposit, I don't see the point in turning them just to kill them faster, when it seems likely to me that the bedding in process of the new pads will remove most if not all of the old pad material anyways. Also, I'm not even sure my open slot Racing Brake 2-piece rotors can even be turned, the rotor lathes seem like they could really screw up slotted rotors - maybe I'm just an idiot though!

Thoughts/experiences appreciated!