View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slow370 View Post
The entire block is compromised? Come on cj its an open deck block. The darton mid sleeves are proven to raise the strength of the block. New hemis, and hondas both use the MID sleeves to great results as well as many other applications.

Edit: just to clarify i wouldn't chop into a closed deck block, if it is already closed dry sleeve it but our motors are not. Also installation is key for any sleeve especially wet sleeves, people say not to use the mid sleeves on the gtr engine( i wouldn't it's a closed deck block) but ams uses them in the omega and last I checked that thing makes a **** ton of power.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
It is absolutely compromised. For a wet sleeve installation you are removing a lot of material that is integral to the block and introducing foreign entities that do not add to or replace the lost structural integrity of the block. You might have stronger individual cylinders, but as a package you have turned one object into 7 individuals that share no real solid structural integration.

And ultimately, for nothing. Nobody has proven the VQ sleeves to be a weak point for the power levels anyone is going to put into this car. DEs have already seen over 1000 on factory sleeves and I think that's got everyone here covered.

As for the omega gtr... As you already mentioned that is a dry sleeve setup so it has nothing to discuss in relation to VQ wet sleeves. But you should know that the omega and other VRs of its caliber are not just sliding in dry sleeves and going on their merry way. They have further, undisclosed, proprietary strategies in place to help those blocks stay together longer by increasing to the structural rigidity beyond what is inherited by the closed deck design.

I like saying structural