View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 01:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
imag
Enthusiast Member

Drives: up the wall
imag will become famous soon enough

My understanding of ABS is that it can bring each wheel to threshold (and over and back) independently, so a full four wheel ABS stop should negate bias, so long as there is enough force on the brakes to get all four wheels to the point of lockup. Am I missing something about how ABS functions?

I actually didn't realize AP was involved in the Stillen kit. My assumption was that they chose calipers and disks that roughly matched the requirements. Apologies to all for that assumption.

I wish we had a set of reliably good drivers testing all the kits, but we just don't right now - we're the guinea pigs for this car. I would generally trust Travis because I've seen from his videos that he can drive, but otherwise everyone wants to say that what they bought is great - and truthfully almost any of these kits should at least be a big improvement over the Akebonos - so it's hard to tell from hearsay at this point. In two years, the best track setups (sways, alignments, pads, etc.) will be common knowledge, but right now, I think it's worth assembling any reporting we can to start that process. That was why I started the thread.

Your point about reputation with regard for a critical component like brakes is well noted, although Brembo has put together some brake kits for OEMs that don't do their reputation any good (I'm sure it's made them money though!). AP seems to show zero sign of going that route, but that's why I have been perhaps overly reluctant to just trust a name. There are also way too many companies in the automotive business (including entire car companies) who tout their high-quality racing experience while the stuff they are selling at the consumer level is completely different and, in some cases, total crap. AP may be great, but you have to admit that we have reason to be wary.

One final note - StopTech may have a lot of marketing, but at least they have put some of that money into educating people about brakes. Sure, it serves their own ends, and they no doubt cast themselves in a good light, but those kinds of articles are better than nothing, *especially* with all the crap that get spouted on the net. I would rather see mostly factual whitepaper marketing than just the usual glamour shots (which I realize AP doesn't bother with either). It's hard to find good information, and I think it's actually helpful when a manufacturer talks about *why* they think they have the best product. If they say they are the best because they have more pistons or shinier colors, well at least you know where they stand. People who lay down facts, discuss weak points, and admit where compromises and value engineering have to take place are generally more trustworthy in general than people who just say their product has the majick sauce...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Last edited by imag; 11-12-2009 at 01:55 AM.
imag is offline   Reply With Quote