View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #250 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhenderson View Post
Edit: Just want to clarify I'm looking for venting options due to my FI build. I'm looking for solutions that take the intercooler into account.

I'm not really sure whether this thread belongs in here or in the "body/exterior" forum but I figured I'd start here as I suspect I'm not alone. If a mod thinks this belongs elsewhere, please feel free to move it.

So unsurprisingly, I'm having radiant heat/heat soak issues especially when the car is pushed hard and I'm looking at more engine bay venting before I look into a bigger oil cooler/radiator/other cooling options whatever. I already have the vented fender liner from GTM so a hood scoop would be a nice way to get some air circulation going.

Thing is, I'm not crazy about the vented hood options I've seen posted here (carbon signal, seibon etc). I really don't like those diagonal vents as it kinda ruins the lines of the car - no offense intended, just my opinion.

I ran across this on my facebook feed (not my car):

...and it turns out this is a non-functional scoop - ugh. Is there a hood that looks like this or the old 350z vented hood style? I've been told modifying the stock hood (even with a fantastic metalworker) is a bad idea for several reasons.

Any ideas?
What's running hot? Coolant? Air intake? Oil?

How hot is hot?

If we're talking a 10-15* change, especially at idle, you might get away with just venting, but really, you'd want to have air ducted to an actual heat exchanger, and not just a place to allow ambient heat to escape. For example, typically with a top mount IC, the heat changer is mounted close to the hood, so you will commonly see a large duct to allow air to pass over the heat exhanger -- it's not simply designed to vent off ambient heat (although I believe a few older Camaros used to have a backwards facing scoop for venting...).

Also, pure ductwork venting/cooling is trickier to get right than you might think -- if you are in a low pressure area on the car, the air might not flow where you had intended.

Meaning, I think you should not bother with the hood and instead identify which heat exchanger is insufficient and replace that.

On that note, if you are using an A2A intercooler, you might consider switching to A2W. Then you can mount the heat exchanger wherever you want, duct accordingly and take advantage of the considerable heat absorption of water.

Another option is to have a water spray set-up or use water/alcohol injection, which will also absorb tons of heat.

Last edited by Jordo!; 04-01-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote