View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Roddy1
Enthusiast Member

Drives: SRT Viper
Roddy1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElVee View Post
Are you buying new or used? What sort of % spread will you be using this car versus the Z (50% of the time...)? Is it just you driving both?

I would find it hard to justify a new car for just 50% of the time, especially since it's being driven in the winter as a "beater" equivalent.

- Go used beater. Really, anything as long as it runs and does what you need.
- If you go new, I'd suggest a quality econocar around $20k that can still be sold in 10 years when you get her up to 150k+ miles as well. Toyota, Honda, whatever lasts a good deal on the inside.

If you can swing new and swing solid at $45k and lower, then get whatever I guess.

I would just then say don't get something sporty or anywhere close to the same category as the Z. Don't make it an agonizing choice which car to drive on a sunny day to work. If it's agonizing, you may as well sell the Z and get the year-round car, ya know?
I agree, except on the beater part. Find the happy medium. Seriously check out the Mazda3 or Mazda6 both in the GT trim. They are cheap slightly used, loaded up, FUN to drive, and good on gas. As you can tell my Daily is a Mazda, with a few bolt ons. Its a hoot to drive. Won't win any races (well maybe it will) but you will find yourself pretending to be a race car driver when the moment presents. Mazda has driving fun nailed down! Slick 6-speed manuals for sure.