View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 06:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
craig.pulliam
Base Member

Drives: 09 370z MB 6M, 09 A5
craig.pulliam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Stig View Post
I have had a lot of work done at Brown's. I have had three Nissan's and I think they are pretty fair in their prices. Keep in mind that the dealerships have people that are trained on your specific car, whereas general garages know a lot about cars, just not necessarily your car. I know dealerships can get a bad rap, but I think if you go in and talk to the service guys for a little bit and ask for a discount, you might just get it done for what you are looking to spend.

You had to have an overhaul on your timing belt already? I have over 77k on mine and haven't had any issues yet. How many miles on your Z? What caused the need for a new timing belt? Should I be worried with my high mileage? Was the repair covered under warranty? I hope so!
Yep timing chain overhaul. I thought it was weird too. A few months ago we had a couple really, really cold nights. Historically cold apparently. Anyway on one of those mornings I woke up and my car was in limp mode after a few hundred yards of driving. It was throwing P0300 which was the only code. The car was actually driving fine but kept throwing the code. I did what I could (new o2s, mafs, bg44k, cleaned intake) but it kept coming back. Eventually it got worse and the car would become hard to start. So I took it in and they said it jumped time. My car has 74k on it.

I bought my car from Carmax with MaxCare extended warranty. I just had to provide maintenance records since I do my own and they covered it no problem. Total invoice from Brown's was $5k. I agree they do great work too. and Mike is awesome. I paid $1700 for the warranty by the way.

I don't think it's a problem. I couldn't find a single instance of a 370z jumping time online I just think I got lucky, possibly having something to do with the extreme cold.