View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
imag
Enthusiast Member

Drives: up the wall
imag will become famous soon enough
Default BBK Comparison thread: Brembo vs. StopTech vs. AP Racing

I realized that front brake ducting is going to require some pretty complex bits, especially because the front caliper is on the wrong side (front). I also realized that buying 2-piece rotors + ducting vs. a BBK minus about $1K for selling the Akebonos means that it's probably worth the extra money to just go with a BBK.

That leaves me a decision to make - which kit? I figure others are going through the same thing and there are multiple threads on each kit.

So this thread is a place to post real facts about each kit. Reputations are not the issue - each of these companies can make incredible brakes. What we need to compare are the specifics of the 370Z kits.

One metric is weight - what are the weights of the calipers and rotors for each kit?

Second, I would invite vendors or others to present actual data about why their brakes are good, what testing was done on this particular kit (again, generalizations about their product line are less important), etc. I think brake balance may be the most important thing - a great set of calipers and rotors that weren't actually tested and balanced with the car will increase stopping distances. For instance, I've seen the StopTech videos of testing on other cars - was that done for the 370 (or G37)?

I'll start:

Brembo, I think, still only have a front brake kit, which could actually increase overall stopping distances, although it would help with fade.

Then there's the silly stuff like colors:

Brembos: Black, Red, Yellow, Silver
StopTech: Black, Red
AP: Black, Red, Grey
imag is offline   Reply With Quote