View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
IGoFast1589
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370Z
IGoFast1589 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
you mean brake dust? that's normal.
Nope, I mean pad deposits. It's when pad material transfers onto the disc surface and hardens unevenly causing the shuttering under braking. Typically it happens if you get a pad beyond its temperature range. If you get your brakes really hot and then come to a complete stop, say at a stop light, and you hold your brakes... You can leave a foot print on the disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJak View Post
It's definitely due to our stock pads having a low operating temperature. I had the same issue until I switched to my Project Mu pads which have a higher temp range. Meanwhile, my parent's G37 on stock sports package pads still develops the vibration issue. It's there every time I go visit them, and I usually do the 90-5 mph braking procedure a few times to clear it for them.
Getting rid of brake deposits didn't come without a price for me though. Now I get so much more brake dust. And that's starting to deposit on my wheels.
I think you're right... I was going to pick up new street pads when my stocks are toast anyway. Doing the braking procedure helped you? For me it made it worse if anything. Because the pads were then just transferring more material onto the hardened deposit on the disc. You parents probably only had extremely light pad deposits. I imagine they don't drive like we do.
IGoFast1589 is offline   Reply With Quote