View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #46 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger123 View Post
Go to a Nissan dealer and test drive a 7AT.......then come back and post your comments.

Agree with previous post. MT are going the way of the dinosaurs. Dual Clutch Auto's are taking over. Just look at Ferrari's. MT not even available in some of their newer lines and growing with various car MFG's as well.

The 370Z 7AT is faster than MT. I have driven both........And yes, you have absolutely full gear control.................Full control.
On that note, for me, the greatest evidence of a change in attitudes that match the change in tech: The BBC Top Gear lads NEVER complain about "flappy paddle" gear boxes anymore, which they used to do almost without fail.

In fact, they are more likely to praise them if they even mention it -- there are virtually no more high end cars that even offer a traditional 3 pedal set-up anymore.

In any case, although our AT is technically a fluid coupling trans, it has full lock up (i.e., a solid, mechanical link from engine to gearbox) in gears 2 - 7.

Moreover, the gearing ratios are very good, very close, and similar to those for MT, although needing an extra gear to achieve it. Additionally, as it turns out, in 0-60 runs (stock), the AT is typically found to be about .1 sec faster than the MT.

Finally, I have seen no clear evidence of any extra drivetrain loss either; it seems to make just as much power as the MT from various mods. The only major caveat would be that gears 5 and up tend to be prone to failure with the substantially higher increased torque and heat produced from a boosted motor.

I have no idea if failures on OEM clutch are more or less likely at significantly higher levels of torque, but I know that clutch failures (CSC) even without mods are common on the MT, so you probably break about even there.

So basically, personal preferences aside, both perform very well (as well as have their own unique set of drawbacks), and are both are appropriate for a sports car.