View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
boosted180
Base Member

Drives: '09 370z sport 6m
boosted180 is on a distinguished road
Default clunking noises/ broken sway bar bolt

I was getting a clunking noise for a very long time whenever I go up/ down driveways and the car is unevenly loaded left to right. It happens almost every time. But when I put the car on a lift and try to find the cause, nothing comes up.

Then recently while going down the driveway I heard/ felt the "clunk" again, but this time it was really loud and immediately afterwards, a sound of a piece of metal like a bolt hitting the muffler. I got out of the car and sure enough, the sway bar bolt broke off on the rear bar. Since then no more clunking noise, at least in the rear.

But if the car is unevenly loaded enough then the front makes the exact same noise the rear used to make.

I'll need to get a new bolt, but what's causing the noise? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the sway bars. I have Eibach aftermarket sway bars (I think... it's been so long, I don't remember)

By the way, where do I get a new bolt (or set of bolts)? I've been away from the hobby for a really long time and haven't been keeping up. I really miss track days, but just been way too busy with other stuff in the past few years...

Thanks.
boosted180 is offline   Reply With Quote