View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #2405 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazman View Post
Here are some of the stats that I would look at to help you decide, since your first starting out.

Canon 60D
- $1,200 with lens kit
- 18 MP
- 5.3 fps shooting
- 1080 HD video
- * 3" movable LCD NON-touchscreen
- 9 autofocus points
- full frame ... Easiest way to describe this is... if you use a 100mm lens on this camera, you will be able to see more of an area then you would if you used a 100mm lens on a NON full frame camera. If this camera and a NON full frame took the same pic with the same lens, the NON full frame pic would look cropped in comparison to this full frame.

Canon Rebel T5i
- $850 with lens kit
- 18 MP
- 5.0 fps shooting
- 1080 HD video
- * 3" movable LCD TOUCHSCREEN
- 9 autofocus points

Nikon D5300
- $895 with lens kit
- 24.2 MP
- 5.0 fps shooting
- 1080 HD video
- * 3.2" movable LCD NON-touchscreen
- *wifi capability
- switch between 9 / 21/ 39 autofocus points
If you have the cash and willing to spend, go full-frame...but not necessarily because of your reasoning. You could spend tens of thousands on a medium format and still have a shot that's no better than an iPhone pic. The advantage of full frame isn't really much of an advantage to someone new to photography. There is absolutely nothing wrong with sticking to a crop sensor. The field of view is less on a crop sensor, but you can compensate with an equivalent focal length lens. A 35mm on a DX is about the same as a 50mm on an FX for example. You can also do something as simple as taking a few steps back, lol.

It doesn't make a difference at this point which one you go with. Your pic's will be mediocre or crap until you know what you're doing, so it really doesn't matter. Everyone starts that way. I tell everyone just starting out to go with an entry level gear because it's a bit less overwhelming and less of an investment if they're not really into it. You can take great shots with the most basic of DSLR, the pricier gear only gets the shot easier. The caveat being knowing how everything works. Today's DSLR's can all take great shots and you'll likely require investing in better lenses and lighting to see huge "improvements."

So I guess my point it, go down to a camera shop and pick out the one that feels comfortable in your hands. Nikon, Canon, Sony, Leica, Hasselblad....whatever, they're all the same, just buy one and start shooting. Watch video, take a class and practice. You'll figure out on your own what works for you for the type of shots you take.

Personally, I prefer Nikon, so I'd go with the D610 if you want to FF or D7100 (or older model) if you want to spend a bit less. B&H, Adorama or Cameta Camera are sites I get my gear from. Don't dismiss refurbished or used gear either. Some sites offer them with the same if not longer warranty and you save a ton.

Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote