View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
imag
Enthusiast Member

Drives: up the wall
imag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannibul View Post
Sorry, I assumed it was a standard industry-wide practice, but I guess I was referring to motorcycle engines as the basis of the second half of my comment.

The first half is just plain common-sense. Maybe the percentage is off...but whatever.
Yeah... you're totally wrong. Anyone doing an oil analysis at the first change, bike or car, will show you that there are metal shavings in the oil from break-in. I actually subscribe to the fast break-in method, but to say it's all broken in on the test stand is just misinformation. It's no wonder that the bike shop laughed at you.

Also, during break-in, your car burns oil, so synthetic is not desirable (it doesn't burn well). I actually think this Z just burns some oil as part of normal operation, so I'm going to stick with the Nissan Ester, but I think people with good synthetic will likely be fine.

And: for those excited because their motor hasn't seized up in with ~15K miles - that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of any oil, no matter what it is. You could not change the oil at all and get 15K miles trouble free. Not saying your oil change is wrong, just that that data point is pretty much useless.
imag is offline   Reply With Quote