View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 02:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Went rallying, need alignment help with steering wheel

So after my off road fun my steering wheel is turned slightly right but I drive straight as my tire hit something when I went into the grass. When I got home I jacked the car up to check the passenger front wheel and tire. All looks good. I spun and spun and spun the wheel and checked with my eyes and finger slightly pressed on the wheel for any deformation and I don't see or feel any so that's good! Wheel and tire also show no damage at all.

I also checked the bow in the tie rod end and each side are even.

So then I put the car on ramps and ran a string down the center line of the car underneath. I measured the front of the wheels to center line and the rears to center line and here's what I got...

Drivers front to center- 28.531"
Passenger front to center- 28.469"
Total 57.00"

Drivers rear to center- 28.469"
Passenger rear to center- 28.469"
Total 56.938"

Based on my last alignment I'm still slightly toed out at 0.062". But that's odd because 0.062" is also the difference of the fronts to center yet the rears are identical.

1. I'm not sure how the fronts can be off yet the rears be the same to center.

2. I checked all this with my steering wheel perfectly straight, yet when I drove home it was cocked sideways maybe 30 degrees. So I'm not sure how underneath can be what it is but my wheels off. I can get an alignment check I guess and I know you can't just pull the steering wheel and rotate it so it's centered.