View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
ElVee
Track Member

Drives: 13 370z 7at t+s grey
ElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ View Post
The Porsche dealer refused to even consider mounting my tires (snobs). I went to several local install shops and talked to each one about my expectations. I asked specifically if they had touchless mounting. Two did and two didn't even know what I was talking about....I ran from those shops. When I picked the shop I asked to meet the tech that would be installing my tires and talked with him about my concerns and expectations (and the fact that I was anal about wheel damage). To minimize risk of damage from installation, I took all four wheels off my car and brought them to the installer (no impact guns and unprotected sockets for me). I then went over each wheel with the tech with a grease pencil and marked the existing damage on the wheel with him We then agreed that any other damage on the wheel would be the shops responsibility.

I was amazed at how quickly the shop would get other customers in and out when they didn't care about damage. Most cars would get 4 new tires in about 20 mins. Mine took well over an hour. This is probably why most shops don't want to take the time.

I know my actions probably seems extreme, but the wheels were totally unmarred after the tech was finished. I tipped the guy $20 when he was done for taking the extra time and putting up with me. I would do the same thing again.
This is the correct answer. Especially the tip at the end.

More than likely you'll find better service and mounting tools at non-franchise/chain, dedicated tire and wheel shops. Either performance/enthusiast or even those tire shops that always seem to have the lift-kit pickups sitting around. Definitely judge those shops by the cars/trucks they have sitting around the outside. If they're ma-and-pa normal cars; move on. If they either make you hard or roll your eyes, stop in.
ElVee is offline   Reply With Quote