View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
jujubii
Base Member

Drives: g37
jujubii is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerz View Post
Just got done doing an string alignment and resetting the camber on all 4 corners. Sphon mentioned the string alignment in a earlier thread and I did the research and decided to have a go at it.

Come to find out the shop alignment was off in a lot of area's. I can with out a doubt say that you can get the numbers your looking for doing it yourself. A caveat to that is I did go to one of the chain auto shops here in Utah. A good race shop that will take the time to do it right would be a .

I went from --2.7 & -2.8 deg camber in the rear to -1.75 & -1.78 deg. Front -2.05 on both sides. for toe I straightened the steering wheel and remained at zero front and went with just under spec in the back. 1.25mm for the RR and the best I could do with maxed out adjustment for LR was 1.4mm.

I used solid-works to figure the math out and give me a visual. It was very convenient to take a measurement and punch it and see the change in 1/100th of a deg.

FYI, for the SPL upper control arm adjustment one full turn of the adjustment bolt gives just over .5 deg of adjustment.

SO have fun doing your alignment. Double and triple check your measurements and you will be fine.

Camber measurement.

This was for toe adjustment in SW

I used green fishing line for my parallel line to measure off for toe adjustments. For the 370 add 1/2" from the front hub to line. The rear is 1" wider overall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
You need to create a parallelogram by making the front and rear jacks equidistant across the front and rear.
I use a piece of conduit drilled at equal measurements.
is there a book that I can buy that will teach me this? or some sort of online resource? I'm super interested in this topic but need a starting point. unfortunately, an amazon search "string alignments" yields nothing of value.
jujubii is offline   Reply With Quote