View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 03:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
kannibul
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z Touring/Sport
kannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond repute

Something like 90% of break-in occurs when the engine is first fired up, and most japanese manufacturers strap it to a dyno and run it all the way up to redline under load to prove it's a good engine.

So, taking that into consideration, there isn't really any "break in" that needs to be done with conventional oil. Plus, with our cam system, we need all the lubrication we can get. If you feel the need to break in your engine, and you put in synthetic oil, figure you just need to hammer the throttle a bit harder than the guy driving like a 90yr old grandma with a reaction time measured in minutes, to make up for the lubrication property differences...

The dealership where I bought my motorcycle tried to tell me the same thing - I spent 2 minutes arguing with them on why that recommendation is BS, and they finally said something to the effect of "it's your bike, we're just saying..." and I finished their sentence with "a load of ********", and I walked out...

All I was ther for was for a couple crush washers =/
kannibul is offline   Reply With Quote