View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
mcspooney
Base Member

Drives: 2011 370z White MT
mcspooney is on a distinguished road

Its mounted Top up. Thats how Z1 specifies to mount it.

The reason I suspect it could be a problem is the very same reason that you have to pre-fill a top up exchanger at install. Air in the oil cooler system has to pass through the engine before the engine sees lubrication at startup. If you were to not fill the heat exchanger at install, an entire liter-sized bubble would pass through your engine--which is why Z1 states that you HAVE to fill the core with oil at install.

If the hose is drained of oil, that 'bubble' (which is really the volume of the entire hose) would have to pass through the engine lubrication system before the engine (cams or crank) would see oil. This would just be a second or two, but I would think that it could create wear.

Anyway. Like I said, it could be paranoia... but I would love to see results of an oil analysis... especially if someone has already done one.